- About SCAN
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
Facts About Abuse
As the following numbers show, children can be hurt in any neighborhood:
- In the United States, 1 in 10 boys and girls will be sexually abused before they are 18.
- Every 11 seconds a child is reported abused or neglected in the United States.
- 13,700 children are abused each day in the United States.
- Four of these children die each day as a result of abuse and/or neglect.
- More than 80% of abused children are abused by their own parents.
During the 2015-16 fiscal year, according to the Department of Social Services:
- 6,592 founded [proven] cases of child abuse and/or neglect in Virginia.
- 37 children died as a result of abuse and/or neglect in Virginia.
- 650 children were in founded cases of abuse and/or neglect in the *Greater Richmond and Central VA area.
- 35,613 children were in possible cases of abuse/neglect and referred to intervention services such as SCAN’s.
- 56 percent of maltreated children experienced physical neglect.
- 28 percent of maltreated children were victims of physical abuse.
- 10 percent of maltreated children were victims of sexual abuse.
*Greater Richmond and Central VA area includes: Amelia County, Brunswick County, Caroline County, Charles City County, Chesterfield County, Colonial Heights, Cumberland, Dinwiddie, Goochland County, Hanover County, Henrico County, Hopewell, King And Queen County, King William, Louisa County, Lunenburg, New Kent County, Northumberland County, Nottoway, Petersburg, Powhatan County, Prince Edward County, Prince George, Richmond City, Richmond County, Roanoke City, Shenandoah Valley, Sussex County, Winchester