- About SCAN
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
Facts About Abuse
As the following numbers show, children can be hurt in any neighborhood:
- In the United States, 1 in 10 boys and girls will be sexually abused before they are 18.
- Every 11 seconds a child is reported abused or neglected in the United States.
- 13,700 children are abused each day in the United States.
- Four of these children die each day as a result of abuse and/or neglect.
- More than 80% of abused children are abused by their own parents.
During the 2014-15 fiscal year, according to the Department of Social Services:
- Virginia reported 6,592 cases of abuse or neglect.
- 48 children died as a result of abuse and/or neglect in Virginia.
- 650 children were in founded cases of abuse and/or neglect in the Greater Richmond area
- 33,020 children were in possible cases of abuse/neglect and referred to intervention services such as SCAN’s.
- 56 percent of maltreated children experienced physical neglect.
- 26 percent of maltreated children were victims of physical abuse.
- 11 percent of maltreated children were victims of sexual abuse.